Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Yogurt in the Crockpot - Third time's a charm! (sort-of)

On my third try of making yogurt in the crockpot, I added 2 T of unflavored gelatin (found in the jello aisle) at the 5 1/2 hour mark, when you are stirring in the 1/2 cup of store bought yogurt with live active cultures. Then I let it sit for the required 8 hours, and when I took off the lid and peeked inside....voila! Firmed up yogurt! I was so pleased. (for original directions on making yogurt in your crockpot, go here.)

Unfortunately, adding flavoring reduced it to the consistency of yogurt drinks again. So I either need to accept that I can only make yogurt drinks, or need to keep experimenting with ways to add fruit without making it thinner. I am storing this batch in glass canning jars in the fridge and flavoring little amounts of it right before eating. So far we have made peach yogurt (adding one whole canned peach to 1/3 of the blender pitcher full of yogurt) and blueberry yogurt (adding about 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries to the same amount of yogurt). Both were good, but the blueberry flavor was the biggest hit.


Fortunately the children are amazingly willing to drink down all my experiments!

5 comments:

  1. Do you puree the fruit before you add it to the yogurt or do you puree it with the yogurt added to it already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth: the first and second times I made it, I pureed the fruit first and then added to the yogurt. This time I pureed the fruit and yogurt together. Didn't seem to make a difference. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. I haven't gotten around to doing this yet but I may try it today. I'll let you know. I'm not going to do the gelatin but rather the powdered milk so I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, When I add my fruit, I just drain the juice (if canned) and chop it with a knife, then just mix it in with a spoon. Using the blender is 'pureeing' your yogurt and cutting the consistency of it. Also, if you add a bit of non fat powdered milk (1 cup or so) before putting it in the slow cooker, it will increase your overall consistency. Keep up the good work. Some of these types of things take a while to 'perfect' but you will get it. Blessings, Suzie E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzie!

    This third try is the only time I have actually pureed the yogurt in with the fruit, but even when I just pureed the fruit and then added it to the yogurt, the yogurt got runny. My children don't care for chunks in their yogurt, so I was trying to make the fruit really smooth. Do you have any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete