Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Blueberry Corn Muffins


I got this recipe from the Sue Gregg Soups and Muffins cookbook. I own two of her cookbooks and they are excellent because not only are they full of good recipes, they also have several pages of tips for how to cook/bake gluten free, how and what to substitute, how to make your own broth cheaply, etc. She has a whole set of Eating Better Cookbooks. Someday I'd like to own all 8 of them!

Blueberries were on sale for $1 box a couple weeks ago so I bought several, and I thought this recipe might be a good way to use up the last box. Personally, I loved the taste of the corn and blueberries together. It was different. And they were moist! I hate it when baked goods turn out dry and crumbly, which has often been my experience with cornbread. The rest of my family gave them mixed reviews, however. They liked them, but not as well as "regular muffins".

Blend together:

2 eggs
1/2 orange juice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp lemon extract (I didn't have any so left this out)

Blend dry ingredients together in separate bowl:

1 1/2 cups flour (she calls for whole wheat but you can use whatever you have)
3/4 cups cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/8 tsp salt (I thought this was a weird measurement! who has a 3/8 tsp??)

Blend dry ingredients into liquid ingredients just until mixed. Gently fold in 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (I used fresh). Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes.

When I mixed the dry and liquid ingredients together, it didn't look like very much batter in the bowl. So I baked them in a tiny muffin cup pan so they would look like more than they were. Does anyone else do things like that?

Verdict: Because most of my family did not love these I probably won't follow the recipe exactly if I make them again. Four of the children said they liked the muffins, but not the blueberries. The presence of the blueberries made them think they were going to taste like regular blueberry muffins, and then they were disappointed when they didn't. One of the children loved the blueberries, but not the muffins. So in the future I think I will make these as just plain corn muffins and leave the blueberries out.

No comments:

Post a Comment