Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rocky Mountain Muffins


Oh my goodness, these are so good!! They are from so many bunnies' blog, and are really leftover oatmeal muffins, but they decided to call them rocky mountain muffins because of the way they puff up in the oven. I didn't experience a huge puffing up in the oven, but they are lumpy looking on the surface because of the oatmeal, so I think the name fits! I'll give you her original recipe first and then tell you of the changes I made.

Rocky Mountain Muffins

2 1/4 cups white flour
2 1/4 cups wheat flour
3/4 cup leftover oatmeal
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 T baking powder (yes! 2 Tablespoons!)
1 cup milk
3/4 cup oil
3 eggs
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling on before baking

Mix all ingredients except cinnamon sugar in large bowl. Spoon into greased muffin tins. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Either freeze or bake. If frozen, bake at 350 for 20 minutes. If fresh, bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Here's what I did differently. I had well over a cup of leftover oatmeal from breakfast the other morning, but it wasn't oatmeal from the pan, it was the bits of oatmeal leftover in the bottom of everyone's bowls. If you think that's gross, I'm pretty sure the intense heat of the oven killed every possible germ that might have been in the there from my children's mouths. And if it still grosses you out, just don't eat rocky mountain muffins at my house! Because it was from the bowls and not the pan, it already had some milk in it. And because it was well over the called for 3/4 cup, I added things slowly and went more by the consistency than a strict following of the recipe. I can't do this with everything, but I've made enough muffins in my lifetime to know what a good muffin consistency looks like.

Instead of 2 1/4 cups of white flour and 2 1/4 cups of wheat flour, I added 3 cups of flour (it was white, though next time I'm going to try some whole wheat pastry flour) and 1 cup of dry oats. I love to substitute oats for flour whenever I can.

I used 2 eggs instead of 3, and I added the milk slowly and just stirred until it looked right, and ended up using less than 1 cup.

I also had to bake these for 20 minutes rather than the called for 15. My oven must run cooler than Mrs. Bunny's (Kathryn's) oven, because every recipe of hers that I've tried so far, I've had to increase cooking time.

The children could not WAIT to try these!! Everyone had one before bed and they were declared "delicious"!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, now I'm going to tell Kathryn that her oven runs hot because I experience the same thing about cooking times. Mine does run cold but I have temp gauge in there and make sure the temp is whatever the recipe calls for. I still have to cook things longer than what she says. Maybe it's living in the Colorado or something.

    And, oooh, I want the Macaroni and not cheese because I have someone who complains about the cheese part of Macaroni and cheese. Unless it's in the Sneaky Chef cookbook because then I have it. :-)

    ReplyDelete