Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sweet Potato Pancakes


Much of my meal planning right now consists of buying whatever veggies are on sale super cheap and then figuring out later how to cook them. Tonight we had such a meal. It was delicious and a hit with everyone! I LOVE when that happens! I went searching for a way to incorporate sweet potatoes as the main part of our meal, and found this recipe for sweet potato pancakes on allrecipes.com.

3/4 pound sweet potatoes (I cooked 3 large ones)
1 1/2 cups flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter, melted

Put sweet potatoes in a pan of boiling water and cook until tender but firm, about 15 minutes (I found I should have boiled them much longer - they were soft on the outside but very hard to mash). Drain and immediately immerse in cold water to loosen skins. Drain, remove skins, chop, and mash.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Mix mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, milk and butter in a separate medium bowl. Blend sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture to form a batter.

Cook pancakes in whatever method you normally use.



Here's what I did differently and what I would do differently next time:

I didn't cook the sweet potatoes long enough to be easily mashed, so the pancake batter turned out to be fairly lumpy with small chunks of sweet potato clearly visible. This visual was not a happy thing for my children.



Once they were flipped it was a little better, because the chunks were not visible. They loved the taste, just not the chunks. So I will cook longer and mash better next time.


Also, I doubled the recipe to make sure we had enough for our larger sized family. This would have meant 3 cups of flour. Instead I added 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of oats (I used regular oats, but you could use quick cook or whatever you have). In addition to all the ingredients listed above, I also added 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract. I also added the milk slowly, stopping when I felt the batter was the right consistency. This turned out to be less then the called for amount of milk.

They were thick and "hearty" (as my hubby said) and very, very good. Definitely a keeper!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Pam! I still have organic sweet potatoes that I bought in large quantity off the "less than perfect" shelves. And I love pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these today (Saturday). I liked them, but not as much as my Pumpkin ones. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious! I love sweet potatoes and can't wait to try it out! I also like to add oats when I can instead of flour... we add it to our waffle batter along with wheat flour, wheat germ, and ground flaxseed. Just a way I like to make ordinary foods more healthy!

    ReplyDelete