Thursday, February 12, 2009

Salmon Fillets in Orange-Honey Marinade

After several days of eating vegetarian, I sensed it was time to feed my family some meat. Checking the freezer I found salmon fillets purchased pre-layoff, and we all love salmon! This recipe is one we have used for years, and is from an old "Kingsford - Great Barbeques" cookbook ~ you know, "Kingsford" as in Kingsford charcoal for grilling? It looks more impressive if the photo is not blurry and if the salmon fillets or steaks are grilled or broiled. But my broiler is currently not working so these were baked and the flavor is still absolutely fantastic!


1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 T oil (I use EVOO)
3 T ketchup
1 T honey
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 clove garlic, sliced or mashed in your garlic press
4 large salmon steaks, or 8 smaller salmon fillets

In shallow glass dish (I use a 9x13 casserole) combine all ingredients except salmon. When well stirred, add salmon, turning to coat both sides with marinade. At this point the original recipe calls for covering and refrigerating for one hour before cooking. I have done this but then feel questionable about using the marinade that the raw fish have been sitting in and it is SO good you just don't want to waste it! So what I usually do is to bake or grill immediately. The flavor is sooooo good! If I serve this with rice, my family will often pour some of the salmon marinade (after cooking) on top of their rice.

Here are the salmon fillets about to go in the oven.

I bake at 350 for 20 minutes per side. When broiling I usually broil about 5 minutes per side and then check. We haven't grilled these since last summer so I don't remember the grilling time per side. This recipe is so flavorful without being overpowering, it is how I introduced salmon to each of our children when they were 1 or 2 and they all love it! In fact, we got a kick out of the fact that when our daughter turned 9, her requested birthday dinner menu was salmon, baked potatoes, and tossed green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment