Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pork Tenderloin in Honey Mustard Sauce


This week I picked up half a pork tenderloin for $8. That was about half price. When I saw the price of the meat in the sale flier, I realized that psychologically I am still thinking/shopping like a meat eater, despite the fact that we have begun to eat vegetarian at least half the time. Even though I could buy bags and bags of beans for $8 (which I already have lots of in the pantry I might add!) I could not resist the lure of purchasing meat for such a good price. I also bought chicken breasts (buy one get one free). So our grocery store gift card countdown has gone down considerably this week. While in the store I actually debated quite a bit about these purchases. Good deals notwithstanding, I *could* use that same amount of money on other items and make it stretch even further. But since we are not a 100% vegetarian family, I decided to be thankful for the good price on meat, thankful that we had the means to purchase it when it was on sale, and just enjoy it! (my husband says I over analyze sometimes ~ and he's right! But in my defense, I'm just trying to make this gift card stretch as faaaaar as possible!)

I cut the pork tenderloin into thirds and used one third tonight to make pork tenderloin in honey mustard sauce for our Valentine dinner. It was delicious! With meat for two more meals in the freezer, that works out to be $2.66 per meal, which is a pretty good price for pork tenderloin!

Pork Tenderloin in Honey Mustard Sauce

Cut pork tenderloin into thin chops (or bite sized pieces - your choice) and brown lightly in a small amount of olive oil. When both sides are browned, add 3/4 cup honey, 1/2 cup mustard, 1/4 tsp chili powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir ingredients and swish pork chops around to make sure they are covered. Cover pan and let simmer for about 15 minutes. This makes a really tasty sauce, so you can serve the pork alone or spoon it and the sauce over rice.

We enjoyed it for our Valentine's Day feast!


No comments:

Post a Comment