Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Rotisserie Style Crockpot Chicken

This is another of Stephanie's crockpot recipes that I've been waiting to try. It was FANTASTIC. The meat was falling off the bone tender, and the flavor was just delicious. Every member of the family loved this chicken - hubby and all 5 children!! A winner!

Rotisserie Style Crockpot Chicken

1 whole chicken, skinned (4-5 pounds)
2 tsp kosher salt (if you'd like it as salty as the ones in the store, add another 1 tsp.)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder (didn't have any so I left this out)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Italian seasoning (I substituted with my favorite brand of all purpose seasoning)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of chili pepper (Stephanie said it was "probably not necessary" but I used it anyway!)

--4 whole garlic cloves (optional - I did not use)
--1 yellow onion, quartered (optional - I did not use)

De-skin and wash the chicken. This makes your sink really gross, but it's a good excuse to clean it reeeeeally well afterwards. :-)

Combine spices and rub on chicken, both inside and outside. If desired, stuff cavity with optional garlic cloves and onion. Set in crockpot, breast down. Do not add water.



Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8. I cooked a 3-4 pound chicken and it fit perfectly in my 5 qt crock. I was using my other crockpot for something else at the time, so it had to. (I am so thankful I have two! I often have them both going nowadays). I have never liked the look of crockpot cooked chicken ~ it's just so pale compared to rotisserie chicken at restaurants. But I forced myself to look past the color and concentrate on the taste, and this tasted SO good! It was very tender and moist and flavorful.


I saute'd some peppers, zucchini, onion and mushrooms in spices and a bit of olive oil to eat with the chicken. Delicious! (the children also had applesauce and slices of bread). The chicken portion of this meal cost less than $4 and we all ate until we were satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment