Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Taco Style Lentils and Rice

Oh my goodness, this was a HUGE hit!! I had my doubts while it was bubbling on the stove, but EVERYONE loved it. Every single member of the family! Yippee!!!! It was delicious and filling. The kids never knew (til they heard us talking about it later) that there was no meat inside the tortilla shells. Whenever I have served brown rice before everyone has complained. Well, again, no-one knew there was brown rice hidden inside of this dish! Cooking the lentils and rice together made it a complete protein, which means we got all the protein benefits of meat without the fat! You have got to try this! Trust me, it looks really really.....what's the word.....brown.....but it is absolutely delicious! It is also really inexpensive. Well under $5 total. I'm going to do a more exact cost breakdown the next time I'm at the store, just because I am really curious to see how cheaply I can feed my family such healthy and delicious food!

The beef bouillon eliminates this as a vegetarian dish (I think) but it obviously counts as a bean dish (I am trying to cook at least one vegetarian dinner and one bean dinner each week).

This recipe is from the Hillbilly Housewife website.

Note for larger families, I made this recipe according to the exact measurements and it was just enough for our family of 7. We were all satisfied but there were no leftovers. If you have hungry teenagers and/or more than 5 children, you will probably want to make one and a half batches or double it.

3/4 cup dry lentils (I used red lentils but you can use any type)
3/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
4 cups water
4 beef bouillon cubes or 4 tsp beef soup base
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder (I skipped this because we didn't have any)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (I upped this to 1 tsp because of having no onion powder)

In a 2 quart saucepan bring the water to a boil. As the water is heating, add everything else. Bring the whole thing to a nice fat boil. Reduce heat to low. Place a lid on the pan and allow the mixture to simmer for 45 to 50 minutes or until water is mostly absorbed. It should have about the same consistency as cooked white sticky rice when it's done, though it will be slightly more goopy because of the cooked lentils.

This is what it looked like halfway through the cooking time:




You could serve this in a variety of ways. We chose to put a dollop inside soft tortilla shells, lay the shells in a casserole pan, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and a touch of mango salsa, and bake for a few minutes until the cheese was melted.


I served this alongside waldorf salad and it was a really delicious meal! (Please ignore the paper plates. :-) My wonderful hubby was in charge of setting the table and he always chooses paper.)

7 comments:

  1. Those look awesome! I love Hillbilly Housewife. I printed out a bunch of recipes from there to make myself a cookbook. The hot cocoa recipe there is wonderful!

    Just curious, did he pick the paper because he also had to do the dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy this turned out well. I may have to actually try it. And to think you got it through my friend Kathryn's blog and I met Kathryn through Lorri and Lorri was the one who introduced me to TOG and I met you through TOG. It's a small world that's come full circle in some way in this story.

    I don't know if you've checked back at her website but she recently posted an entry about money saving tips. I disagree with her about not using paper. I have a friend whose husband is an engineer and he calculated the cost of using paper vs. the energy use of the dishwasher for them and paper plates came out ahead. They have 4 teenagers (or almost teenagers)and homeschool and her husband works at home a few days a week. I just put that out there for your consideration. We now use paper and have found some somewhat sturdy ones at a grocery store that you don't have up there. Ironically, they are from the cheaper grocery store and I hate the ones from the expensive grocery store. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teacher/Mom: Yes, easier clean up is why he chooses paper! But I have to say that he also washed the pots and pans by hand. Go hubby!

    Beth: Wow!! Full circle indeed. We use paper all the time for lunches, and I do agree with you that it is actually more economical than running the dishwasher more frequently. I do try, though, to use pretty dishes for dinner. Pretty dishes take better pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, I didn't mention that my kids and husband hate beans but now that this has gotten such rave reviews, I'm going to try it. Do you just buy the mango salsa or do you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, we bought the mango salsa. If your family hates beans, don't let them see what's in the pot while it's cooking on the stove. If they only see the finished product they should never know until you tell them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, I'm right in there with you in trying to save money on meals. We have two house payements right now as my husband changed jobs out-of-stated, and we opted to go ahead and make the move to stay together after a couple of months. One thing that we are using to help us with food costs is Angel Food Ministries. If you are not familiar, their website is www.angelfoodministries.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...these look really good. They remind me of my Snobby Joes. I'm going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete