Monday, January 26, 2009

Garlic Roasted Chicken


This is not a vegetarian recipe, but it was so good I wanted to share it anyway! I picked up a whole chicken on sale last week, but since I normally don't cook them whole I went looking for recipes on allrecipes.com . I love this website. I have gotten so many really good recipes here, and it's helpful to be able to read reviews from real live normal people just like me. I would have never thought to put sugar/cinnamon/allspice/nutmeg/cloves on the outside of a chicken. Pumpkin pie, yes. Chicken, no. But the unique blend of spices on the outside along with the garlic on the inside gave it a GREAT flavor! Loved by the whole family, even Little Man who is usually my worst critic.

Mix together in small bowl:

2 tsp salt
1 tsp white sugar
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Rub the chicken with this mixture, cover chicken and place in fridge for 24 hours (I didn't read the directions well enough and didn't do this 24 hours ahead, it was still delicious!).

Preheat oven to 5oo. Crush 5 cloves of garlic. Stuff this inside chicken, place in roasting pan, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Turn temperature down to 475 and cook another 15 minutes. Baste chicken, turn oven temp down to 450 and cook for another half hour (possibly longer depending on size of chicken). I cooked mine a little longer because I was also roasting carrots, potatoes, and onions along with the chicken.

Absolutely delicious! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment