Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Turkey/Black Bean Sloppy Joe's


These were very good! My family members are not huge fans of sloppy joe's to begin with, but these were very tasty the first night, and even better at lunch the next day. I got the original recipe from Crystal at the Family Homestead, and then switched out turkey for ground beef.

Turkey/Black Bean Sloppy Joe's

1 lb hamburger (I used ground turkey)
4 to 5 cups cooked beans (I used black, and I only used about 2-3 cups)
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 green or red pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups ketchup
2 T worcestershire sauce
1 6oz can tomato paste
3/4 cup water
2 to 3 T apple cider vinegar, to taste (I didn't have any so left this out)
3 T sucanat or sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Brown hamburger or turkey with onion and green or red pepper. Drain grease if needed. Add cooked beans.


Add remaining ingredients and let simmer long enough to get everything hot and blend flavors. She suggests serving on homemade whole wheat French Bread rolls, but I served on whole wheat hamburger buns from the grocery store! (I'm out of wheat berries and can't bake any bread or rolls until the ones I've ordered arrive).

Verdict: Well liked by all except Little Man, and he ate half of one with help. :-)


Next time I make sloppy joe's I'm going to try my friend Susan's recipe!

1 comment:

  1. I just made a pot of them. I am always amazed at how quick and easy they are.

    ReplyDelete