Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Yet Another Post about Yogurt!

I think I may have finally discovered the secret to getting the right consistency when I make yogurt in the crockpot! After many, many attempts (all of which produced varying degrees of yogurt drinks rather than gelled yogurt, and all of which my children drank) I finally awoke to nicely gelled yogurt after letting it sit the requisite 8 hours wrapped in towels (for original posting of the crockpot yogurt recipe, go here). The only thing I did differently from the original recipe was adding plain gel at the 5 1/2 hour mark. I added two packets which is about 2-3 T. I was able to spoon out 2 1/2 quarts of nicely gelled plain yogurt, and I decided to add flavoring one serving at a time since blending flavoring in to the whole batch has always destroyed the gel consistency.

I put some yogurt in a small bowl, sprinkled a little bit of sugar on it, and poured in some pureed strawberries which I'd pureed in my one cup food processor. I was afraid to do anything more vigorous than stirring, for fear of destroying the yogurt consistency, so we ended up with yogurt that looked sortof chunky like cottage cheese, but was NOT runny, and it had a delicious strawberry flavor!


Son L deemed it "the best yogurt I've ever had!!", sons G and C liked it equally well with store bought yogurt, and daughter G said she liked it but it was still just a tad "bitter". I may not have added the same amount of sugar to each serving, but I'm trying to wean them off the sugar anyway, so maybe it will be an acquired taste? Anyway, it was pretty popular and today I'm fixing it with pureed blueberries. The children have always loved blueberry yogurt so I'm hoping for more rave reviews!

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to ask -- have you ever put it back in the fridge to "gel up" again after adding the flavoring? I was wondering if that would work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth: yes, I've tried that numerous times, with varying degrees of failure. I have added the flavoring by blending though, and it never firms up again after that. Perhaps if I blended it some other way??

    ReplyDelete