Saturday, January 13, 2018

Sausage, Bean, and Potato Soup

I found this recipe in Joanna Gaines' "Magnolia Journal" magazine, and it was delicious!


Ingredients:

2 T olive oil
1 14oz smoked sausage links cut in bite sized chunks (I used 2 packages of Italian sausage, browned)
2 cups chopped onion (I didn't measure, just chopped one large onion)
1/2 cup chopped celery (I didn't measure, just chopped the entire bunch of celery)
1/2 cup chopped carrot (again, I didn't measure, just chopped a whole bunch!)
3 cloves garlic, minced (this I did measure)
1 lb great Northern beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed (through long years of trial and error, I have learned that the only bean my family will willingly eat in soups is light red kidney beans, so I used 2 cans of those instead of great Northern beans.  Also, that meant no soaking overnight!)
2-3 boxes chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 cups torn fresh kale, stems removed (the kale in this soup is actually really good, but I found that 8 cups was too much.  Next time I will probably half that)
8 oz tiny new potatoes, quartered (I used more)

To Make:

In large soup pot, heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat and then brown the sausage.  Remove from pan and set aside once browned.  Add remaining oil to pan (another 1 T) and saute the celery, onion, and carrots, and garlic.  Cook and stir until tender, about 8-10 minutes.  Stir in beans, broth, sausage, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, and pepper.  Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Add kale and potatoes and bring to boil again, cook til potatoes are tender, about 20-30 minutes.  Remove and discard bay leaf.


My family really liked this soup, even with the suspicious greens floating about in it (kale!).  They all declared they would eat it again.  Winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment