Sunday, December 13, 2015

Sugar Fast - Final Update

I completed my 8 week sugar fast some time ago.  I lost a total of 13 pounds JUST from cutting out sugar.  I added no exercise or any other dietary restrictions.  I felt much better mentally and did not have my usual intense afternoon slumps.  During those 8 weeks I intentionally "cheated" 6 times, to demonstrate to myself that I was master of the diet rather than the diet being master of me.

My breakfast was almost always 2 eggs scrambled with mushrooms (and/or any other leftover veggies such as potatoes), cheese, and fresh basil.

Lunch was often something like this:

Since fruit was banned for those 8 weeks (except for blueberries, which are super low in fructose and high in other good things) I ate lots and lots of raw veggies.  So by default I ended up consuming fewer calories, probably heavily contributing to my weight loss.

Since my fast ended I have tried to be "low sugar" but feel the need to do another fast pretty soon.  The main thing the fast did for me was help me to be aware of all the hidden sugar I was consuming, and I see it creeping back into my diet.

The permanent changes have been:

I quit Snapple.

I quit buying sugary cereals for the kids.

Much greater awareness.


So, fast #2 coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment