Saturday, June 25, 2011

Whole Wheat Corn Waffles

This is another breakfast recipe I found at The Happy Housewife. Love her website!

Heat up waffle iron while mixing batter. In the original recipe she says to mix the wet ingredients first and then stir in the dry, but I did the opposite so I could more easily adjust the addition of the milk. I'm glad I did, as I used just slightly over 3 cups of milk, rather than 4. I just kept checking the consistency of the batter as I added.

Mix in large bowl:

3 cups whole wheat flour (freshly ground or store bought - can also mix whole wheat and white)
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt

Add to dry mixture:

4 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup oil
3-4 cups milk (add milk slowly to adjust - if using white flour you will use less milk. Batter should be pourable but not runny)



Pour mixture onto hot waffle iron and cook.


Voila!


The children ate theirs with syrup, but I put vanilla yogurt and blueberries on mine. YUM!


Freeze leftovers and re-heat in the microwave or toaster!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete