Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Applesauce Bread

I found this recipe on Laura's blog, Heavenly Homemakers and thought I'd give it a try. A new twist on bread for me, and very delicious!



Applesauce Bread

1 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat or white, I used a mixture)
3/4 cup rapadura or 1/2 cup honey (never heard of rapadura so I used honey!)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted

I doubled this recipe for 2 standard loaves. Mix dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add applesauce, eggs, honey, and melted butter. Stir well. Pour into a greased bread pan and bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.


Very delicious and smelled GREAT while baking! Laura said she has made this with shredded apples instead of applesauce, so I'm thinking this may be a great way to use up slightly bad apples.

2 comments:

  1. I just make applesauce for the first time and I think this will be an awesome bread - would you consider this a quick bread and is it sort of sweet? I'm going to make this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh - i just noticed that you have this posted under "quick breads" - hee hee!

    ReplyDelete