Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bran Muffins

Well, I was hoping to post something here while it was still May so I would at least have 2 posts in May, but that didn't happen. I have been focusing on finishing our school year well, and also on trying to exercise more regularly, so trying new recipes has taken a back seat for a time. I have wanted to post this recipe for a while though, because these are incredibly moist and delicious bran muffins! I used to think bran muffins were pretty much like cardboard until I tried these. This recipe is from Sue Gregg's Soups and Muffins cookbook, and we have enjoyed them for years.

Bran Muffins

Cover 1/2 cup of raisins with water and set aside to soften. This is an optional step and one which I usually skip.

1/2 cup very hot water
1 1/2 cups wheat bran

Blend together (I stir) and let stand for 5 minutes to soften bran

In large bowl, combine:

1 egg
1/3 cup honey
1 cup buttermilk (I use regular milk. For those with dairy allergies, use soy milk.)

When these ingredients are well blended, add:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or whatever flour you have)
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Stir well and then add the bran/water mixture. It will look something like this:


Add raisins if using them, and blend just until raisins are mixed throughout. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. This recipe only yields 12 medium sized muffins, so I frequently double it.


If the batter does not look quite moist, add a bit more buttermilk or milk or soy (whatever liquid you're using) and /or a bit more honey.

Verdict: My husband, me, and 2 of our children love these muffins. The other 3 could take them or leave them. But since they are loved by more than half the family, I do and will make them! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment